Monday, November 30, 2009

Help for struggling shortwave stations

Dear shortwave friends,

I am trying to gauge the interest level in an idea I have had for a few years. As a shortwave listener/DX'er I am particularly fond of the small domestic broadcasters heard in the tropical bands, and on other parts of the shortwave spectrum. These stations have gone off the air in recent years at an alarming rate. The world of communications is going through great change, and it's understandable that shortwave is being supplanted by other modes.

However, I hear from time to time, that certain domestic shortwave broadcasters have gone off prematurely or involuntarily due to technical difficulty, or lack of funds for electricity or other station related necessities. I would like to develop a portfolio of stations that have a strong desire to continue broadcasting on shortwave, but are lacking for a certain part, or technical knowhow. If you would like to be part of this effort, please contact me. I am looking for those who have knowledge of stations that are going through difficulties, but would like to be on the air serving their local community. I would also like to hear from those who could support the effort in various ways, through contributions, technical, monetary or otherwise.

I am partly inspired the great monetary and organizational efforts expended by amateur radio operators to transmit from a rarely heard territory. In this case, my primary interest would be to empower domestic shortwave stations to serve their local audience with a secondary benefit being continued audibility for shortwave listeners and dxers.

Thanks for hearing me out, and 73

David Goren/(HCDX)
http://www.shortwaveology.com